Biogas Information Hub is a Department of Energy (DoE) supported and GIZ funded initiative, geared to be the main source of information on biogas in South Africa. The DoE is keen to develop Renewable Energy Technologies and through the information hub they will further promote and build much needed know-how about renewable projects in the Biogas sector. The information hub covers developments with different stakeholders involved in biogas development, which includes Government, Private Sector, Non-governmental Organizations, Community Based Organizations, research institutions and independent consultants. The Information Hub’s webpage is hosted by the Southern African Biogas Industry Association (SABIA).
The AIM of the Biogas Information Hub is to assist with collection and collation of information and data on biogas in the country, serve as a tool to assist with and sharing of the information for biogas decision makers, developers, donors, investors, financial institutions, researchers, policies makers, legislators and all those seeking information on biogas in South Africa.
It will provide information about regional and international developments in the biogas sector. The hub will share comparative international experience, particularly from leading biogas developing countries such as Germany, India, China, Sweden and Denmark.
The Hub is an information and developmental tool, to create a critical mass for the development of a sustainable biogas sector in South Africa. The information will be current, competitive and reliable.
The Stakeholders involved vary across government departments and include different interest groups, whose common interest is the growth of the biogas sector in South Africa. The role playing stakeholders are:
- Governments Departments: Department of Energy (DoE), Department of Environmental Affairs (DEA), Department of Trade and Industry (DTI), Department of Science and Technology (DST), Department of Agriculture (DoA), Department of Water Affairs (DWA),
- Provincial and Local Government: South African Local Government Association (SALGA), City of Tshwane, Gauteng Economic Development, Eastern Cape Development
- Financial Institutions: Independent Development Corporation (IDC) Development Bank of Southern Africa (DBSA), UNIDO, AFD, etc.
- Private Sector/Organized Business: South African Biogas Association (SABIA), Project developers outside SABIA, Intensive Energy Users Group, etc.
- Parastatals: ESKOM, etc.
- Research Institutions/Universities: South African National Energy Development Institute (SANEDI), University of Johannesburg (UJ) UNISA, Agricultural Research Council (ARC), etc.
- Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) & Consultancies: Green Cape, Cape E A Prac., etc.
Most of these stakeholders are involved on a voluntary basis they commit their time and effort to ensure the growth and development of the Biogas Sector in South Africa.