The section focuses on the studies, research and related work that have been undertaken and that are on-ongoing both at national and international level. The scope of the studies and research covers the broader biogas sector; these includes research on biogas plant design, technologies, plant efficiency, bacteria, anaerobic digestion, analysis of various feed-stocks/raw materials, output optimization, future projections, market analysis, biogas use and general developments of biogas.
A Number of research works have been undertaken and published in South Africa and Sub-Saharan Africa, focusing on various areas of biogas development. These studies have been undertaken by Universities, independent research bodies, funding agencies, government and private sector institutions. The studies are assisting in the growth and development of biogas in the country, as they help create a critical mass of information and knowledge for biogas developers, policy makers, politicians, financial institutions and investors. Some of the work and research undertaken is attached for reference.
- Biogas Development in South Africa
- Estimating the Biogas Potential for Electricity Generation from the Agro-Waste Industry
- A Survey of South African Wastewater Treatment Works
- An Assessment of the Skills Need and Estimation of the Job Potential
- Biogas Technology Matrix
- Biogas research in selected Sub-Saharan African Countries
- Small scale biogas digesters for Sustainable Energy Production in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Technologies for discovery of biogas from wastewaters applicability and potential in South Africa
- The State of Waste Energy Research in South Africa Part 1
- Towards a sustainable biogas management: How does South Africa compare?
The Biogas sector is well developed and matured in a number of developed countries and particularly in European countries. However, there is on-going research to further develop and strengthen this industry. The research has covered a wide spectrum on topics and issues, to ensure increased efficiency, effectiveness, increased plant production, and to keep biogas developers/stakeholders informed of new industry trends, growth and investment opportunities. The research has focused on ensuring sustained growth and increased production of various biogas plants. The attached research work focuses on various areas of research that have been undertaking and covered to date.
- Guidelines for the safe use of biogas technology
- Biogas and Biomethane in Europe research in various countries
- Decentralised biogas technology of anaerobic digestion and farm ecosystems opportunities and challenges
- Performance Evaluation of various models of biogas technologies in Household Environment in India
- Pretreatment of feed-stock for enhanced biogas production
- Understanding Biogas generation